Support Livingwell Seed Co.'s mission - shop through this link!

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Morning Glories

 “A quiet conscience makes one strong!” Anne Frank

Everyone has a favorite parking place, a favorite seat in the meeting. So, after five years of parking in the same spot at work, I was a bit miffed to find someone else arriving earlier and taking mine. I passed it off the first couple of times, even managing one morning to arrive early enough to take my old familiar spot. I rationalized that a newer employee probably forced the perpetrator to find another spot, but why mine? After about a week of this, I began to feel... irritated. 

The parking places are not marked. It was just tradition. It was comfortable. I had a cordial relationship with the parking space bandit until then, but new room assignments at work meant we would be seeing each other more often. So, I made a choice. I decided I wanted to maintain my peace and that meant I needed to make a change, even if I really didn't want to. 

Reminded that all things work together for good to those who love God, and continuing with my morning prayers of thanksgiving, I pulled into a spot in an adjacent section of the lot. I wouldn't be able to see my car from my window any longer, but the first thing I noticed was it was closer to the building. Then I noticed the morning glories.

I had seen them before and often thought, "Some day I'm going to photograph those." Characteristically running in at the last minute, however, some day had not arrived...until now. 

Morning glories, of course, are only seen in the morning. Delighted now, I grabbed my cell phone and took a few photos, vowing to bring my real camera the next morning. As I did, the new tenant of my old parking place called, "Good morning! Thank you for the song!" Just then, I remembered attaching the mp3 of a new song and sending it through the email to a few folks who had asked about it.

"You're welcome!" I called, smiling and hurrying into the building. 

What if I'd gone on grumbling? What would I have missed? Among many other glories, I would have missed the opportunity to display God's love. I would have missed the opportunity to be an authentic representation of God's beauty and grace in the world around me. Being nice later wouldn't have compensated for the missed opportunity. 

The day proceeded on its own busy course. Returning wearily to my car nine hours later, the veil of blue flowers had mysteriously vanished from the shrubs, but their memory refreshed me. I was glad I had chosen the path of the morning glories and amazed that a mere parking place had jeopardized my peace and the joy of knowing I'd done the right thing. 

Song of Solomon 2:15
Catch all the foxes, those little foxes, before they ruin the vineyard of love, for the grapevines are blossoming! New Living Translation

Matthew 5:25
Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are with him in the way; lest perhaps the prosecutor deliver you to the judge, and the judge deliver you to the officer, and you be cast into prison. World English Bible

Romans 12:9-10
Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle. The Message

2 Corinthians 10:5
We are taking prisoners of every thought, every emotion, and subduing them into obedience to the Anointed One. The Voice

Philippians 2:14-15
Do all things without complaining or bickering with each other, so you will be found innocent and blameless; you are God’s children called to live without a single stain on your reputations among this perverted and crooked generation. Shine like stars across the land. The Voice

Excerpt from:    
While it is Called Today - 
a 30-day photo devotional for living well   
 by Dee Marvin Emeigh


(c) 2014 Dee Marvin Emeigh
all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment