Support Livingwell Seed Co.'s mission - shop through this link!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Intrapersonal Learning

It was Howard Gardner who came up with the term, and I accepted it gladly. It took me many years on my own to determine my learning style, and I was glad someone was willing to give it credibility. When I was young (my older brother and) I thought I was just "slow." My IQ test proved otherwise. No genius, mind you...

It simply means, I have to think about it. There is no need to yell at me, or even to suggest that I step back and reflect. That is who I am.

It (and yes, I realize this is the third paragraph beginning with "it," thanks) has recently come to my attention that poets and philosophers often have this learning style. But, in a survey of 100 students in classrooms I have taught, NONE has been an intrapersonal learner. Still, I'm not usually lonely, so, it's ok; really. I guess the world just doesn't need a lot of philosophers and poets.

Still - watch for us, instructors! We are a quiet bunch, and it isn't that we don't listen or understand. Indeed, we do. We may miss some of the details, but we want to absorb the concept. We just have to think about it, and trust me; you wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment